Sunday, November 12, 2006

I Just Want Daddy

We both heard a bedroom door creak open and quiet whimpering. "Is it Joshua or Abigail?" I asked Ernie.

"I think it's Abigail," he replied.

Abigail had been asleep for several hours, but we soon heard her softly padding up the stairs. Ernie and I were both still awake and in our upstairs family room. "What's wrong, Abigail?" Ernie asked her.

"I just want you, Daddy," was her reply as she ran over and curled up on his lap. I gave Ernie my best hurt look, and he tilted his chin a bit higher and smiled broadly.

"Would you like a drink?" he asked her and she nodded.

I walked over and gave Abigail a hug before Ernie took her back down to bed. (I secretly thought she'd want to stay in my arms.) "What made you wake up, Abigail?" I asked.

"I just wanted Daddy," she told me. I gave her back.

Abigail has always been a mommy's girl. She shunned Ernie for the first year (or so) of her life.

And now...I have to admit I feel a twinge of pain. Seriously. I've seen it coming. But tonight was the kicker.

I am no longer the center of my little girl's universe.

Ernie just came back upstairs with his chest puffed out like a croaking toad (no other similarities, Ernie - really). I am happy for him. Tonight he was everything our little girl needed.

I guess it is nice to share.

-m

1 Comments:

At 10:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so sweet Mindy! It stings a little bit though doesn't it?

Jacque :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home