Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Persistence

Our laundry room floor is hard to see right now. Last week I was sick and didn't get through all the laundry. This week we had a water pipe freeze and I can't, as of yet, use the washer. We are running out of underwear and other essentials...

This morning I returned home from a doctor appointment and had a message from Mary Anne. "Hey, Mindy, I'm not working today. Do you want to come over and do your laundry?"

Now I didn't get much sleep last night due to a nasty sinus infection, and my doctor had just given me pain medication that he said would knock me out. I just didn't think I could drag my weary body over to her house to do laundry. Maybe after a good morning nap, I suggested.

"Hmmm...well, why don't you bring your girls and laundry over here first? I'm just scrapbooking - and I'm almost caught up, anyway. I can watch your girls and do your laundry, and you can go home and try to get some sleep."

Are you kidding? Have her give up her morning to do my laundry and babysit my kids while I sleep? (Why is it that women have such a hard time accepting help?) No, I can't make her do that! I'll just see how I am feeling after lunch.

Abigail watched old Popeye cartoons and Madelyn slept and played in her crib while I dozed off and on. We ate lunch and I tried for another nap. Then my doorbell rang...

"Hi, Mindy. I've come to get some laundry. I figured you were either still napping or just didn't feel up to doing it, so I decided to just come get it for you."

What?! I had turned down her offer. She counter offered and I had turned that down. It wasn't that I didn't need help...It wasn't that I wouldn't be incredibly grateful for her help...I just didn't want to put her out, so I politely refused. Yet she saw my need and decided she was going to meet it - whether I was asking her to or not. She didn't just offer and then go on her merry way. She forced herself into my world today - just to help me out.

I can't help but wonder if I would have been as persistent...

I am thanking God for blessings like Mary Anne today. I can learn a lot from her.

-m

1 Comments:

At 10:15 AM , Blogger Dianne Spore said...

I had been wondering why you hadn't blogged lately.....can't keep track of all of you! :):)
I am sorry that you haven't felt well. I hope you are better today, and you have clean clothes....what more could you ask for. Chad and Heidi just went through no washer for over a week too....a family of 6-so I know how that can be.
Blessings,
Dianne

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home