Sunday, May 18, 2008

Moving Day/Goodbyes/backaches/good times/wonderwoman

Friday night I stayed up until 1:30 AM packing up the house. I told Mindy that I couldn't stay up any longer so I went to bed. She didn't. I woke up at 3:45 and went downstairs to find her still working, but only about 15 minutes from being completely finished. We went to bed about 4:30 then woke back up at 6:30. Mindy only got a couple hours of sleep and was amazing!





Over the past couple of weeks we had several people come over and help pack and that was very helpful!





I hate moving!





Anyways, at 8AM we had more people show up to help than we knew of and they had the truck packed by 11AM! We had completely stuffed our 26 foot truck with stuff and had to go rent a trailer from Uhaul. We filled that as well and will end up having to get another load when we return to clean on Tuesday.





You never realize how much stuff you have until you move it. Crazy! Why do we collect/hang on to so much stuff!





It was tough saying goodbyes to our close friends. I was saying goodbye to one of them and I said, "you guys have been great friends to us", she interrupted me and said, "been good friends, how about are good friends". Then I realized that we aren't separating totally, as we are not that far away.





We drove the distance to get here and this is when it got interesting. We arrived to the storage unit and began unloading our stuff. As Mindy and I watched all of our belongings get scattered across the gravel parking area between storage units we were disgusted, uneasy and fearful. Disgusted that we have traded life for so much material stuff. Uneasy because this stuff is nice stuff and nobody treats it like it is something they've spent money on. Fearful, because so much of our future is uncertain. On top of this, we were tired!





So, here was our method. Unload all the truck and separate into 4 piles: 1) goes to farm shed of friend 2) goes to Mindy's parents' house 3) goes to storage and 4) goes to front of storage. After unloading everything we had to reload the stuff that went to the farm storage shed and to Mindy's parent's house. YeeHAAA!





We have both agreed on three things. 1) It is best to move into a home than 3 different locations. 2) we need to slim down our belongings 3) we are ready to settle down somewhere and not move again!





So, today I feel like I don't know where anything is and I'm tired. Thanks to all who made this move easier. It was a blessing to feel the love and support from our friends.

(note: this was the day after moving - today (Wednesday) things are much better - we are headed to Florida for a needed vacation and visit with my family. )





Ernie

2 Comments:

At 7:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

so glad to hear things went well! we've been thinking about you guys and can SO relate.

we love you guys and will continue to pray!!

Safe travels. :-)

 
At 7:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

love you guys. miss knowing you're not right down the street. as we have all of our house crammed into 2 different storage areas and bedrooms and everywhere else...i've had the same thoughts about all the material stuff. please blog and update us on how life is going. I know it's only been a week.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home