Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmas Morning

I always feel like a kid on Christmas morning. I get excited. My stomach has butterflies. I wake up around 4 or 5 and have trouble going back asleep. I toss. I turn. The anticipation is almost more than I can handle.
I wish our kids would wake up!!!

Ernie and I got out of bed at 6:30 this year. (That's when we got out of bed, not necessarily when I woke up.) I said we would go downstairs, put the breakfast casserole in the oven, and go back to sleep on the couch until Joshua and Abigail woke up. In reality, we went downstairs, ignored the oven because we didn't want breakfast ready too early, turned on the Christmas lights, checked to make sure the kids weren't awake in their rooms but just didn't want to come out and open presents yet (they weren't), cranked up some festive music, got the camera and camcorder ready, got accused of trying to wake up the kids with the music by my mother, and waited...

At 7 AM they finally awoke! Let the fun begin!!

Joshua and Abigail stopping for some silliness (maybe to humor me so I could get a picture?) on the way to get their stockings.


Ernie feigning excitement over one of about 14 packs of gum in his stocking. Santa was good to him.

Madelyn wearing the Santa hat from Uncle Tommy and Aunt Gwen. Unfortunately, we forgot to mention to them that all our kids seem to come with unusually large melons.

Don't worry - she'll grow into her melon. And the hat was still cute.


Joshua and Abigail playing with the swords Abigail gave Joshua for Christmas. When he opened them, she excitedly exclaimed, "Joshua, now we can fight!" Hmmm...and how will this be any different? :)


My Dad and Mom came over on Christmas Eve and spent the night. They had never done that before, and it made an already wonderful day even more special. It was so much fun to have them here Christmas morning.

I loved seeing the joy on the kids' faces as they ripped open their presents. I delighted in hearing their squeels as we played together. I cherished the uninterrupted time of holding my family close and talking. I melted at the tender looks my husband and I exchanged throughout the day. I felt honored that my parents chose to spend the day with us. I was humbled by the remembering of the Christ child whose Christmas was so different than ours. I loved staying in my pajamas all day!

Every year I think Christmas day couldn't possibly have been any better. This year was no exception.

-m

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home