Virginia Tech Tragedy
Arggghhh! Last night I sat up and watched a special on the Columbine-like tragedy at Virginia Tech and was frustrated by some of our political pursuits!
After Columbine, the big wigs thought it best to limit and restrict the ability to purchase Guns thinking that this would solve the problem. So let me ask, "Did it work?" No! Because gun access is not the issue. Just like making drugs illegal hasn't solved our drug problem. Politics can't affect the subculture of what's done out of view.
I'm not sure what the big problem is, but it is as has been mentioned before that there is a deeper issue at hand. Things like the break down of the family, teen drug use, violent video and computer games, music, etc....
What frustrates me is that these supposedly really brilliant law makers and leaders of our country don't have the nads to take on the money people (entertainment industry). It's like we protect the people who have some of the greatest impact on our culture and allow stuff like Columbine and Virginia Tech to continue to shock us. This brings up another issue. Does the media reflect or direct our culture? I think both, but it is directing more and more these days.
I understand that we can't legislate morality or speech, but when are we going to say as a nation that certain things are just not good and fitting for a civilized group of people? Why can't we say pornography, violent video games, illicit music and movies are just not right no matter if you are an adult or a child? Children always want to pursue "adult" interests far before they are adult. So when we allow poison packed media to be just out of reach, they reach it, devour it and then reflect it back to us and we are shocked.
I'm tired of all this stupidity and it concerns me as I attempt to raise children who don't just reflect culture but impact it.
-e

2 Comments:
Very well said!
Ernie,
Read the fiction book Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult, it is a well researched novel, that involves a school shooting and then takes you back throughout the shooters and other students lives to look at why they did what they did...all educators should read it.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home