Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Chapter Churches?

Bizarre. Ernie is blogging again, but stranger things have happened. I'm sure you can think of many bizarre but true tales, but that's not the point of this blog posting.

So, I just got back from Outbreak (our middle school program), ate a snack, took out the trash and settled into the couch for a bit of R&R (newspaper and tv) when I came across the very popular "Lost" TV show. I'm not into this show but countless people are. While sitting there I recalled some of my "must see" shows of the past. Shows like: Dukes of Hazard, Hulk, A-Team, Night Rider and my most current shows - The Shield and Prison Break. I can't get the Shield any more and I'm behind on Prison Break, so I simply flip through channels now looking for something to keep my attention. When I turn on "Lost" I am just that - LOST! I don't have a clue what has taken place or even who the characters are. I'm not wrapped up in the story. There is a bit of intrigue and societal buzz that makes me feel like it's worth my hour, but not enough to plunge headlong into it.

So, now my thought. Churches don't have much intrigue anymore. What's the buzz? Do people just go to church out of obligation or are they wrapped up in the story? In most churches there is no story. It's the same bat time on the same bat channel. No variety, no intrigue, no mystery. Should church even be like this? What would it be like to leave church with unanswered questions, shock, murmurring, intrigue? What would it take to cause such a stir within us that we just can't wait to see what happens next?

I remember serving in a church where we had "revival meetings" and there was this special evangelist that we called "Jumpin John". I don't know as I remember any sermon he ever preached or do I recall any verifiable miracles, but what I do remember is that A) He jumped and B) He sweated A LOT. He sweated so much that he would sweat through his clothes and not just in his arm pits. By the end of the night he would often have completely soaked his shirt (seriously) and down his pants. As the youth pastor I would make verbal wagers with the guys as to how far his sweat would go each night. Those guys would be there every night, not to hear what he had to say necessarily (oops!), but to see if they could outguess me about his sweat! I recall one night it making it past his knees! My point is 1) very loose and 2) that there was a heavy sense of intrigue.

I love reading chapter books to our kids. At the end of a chapter they always cry out, "One more daddy - pleeeeeeease". Sometimes I give in, but not always. I want them thinking how the story could go and what could happen next.

What would it be like if church was unpredictable? Intriguing? Like a chapter book or some must see TV? Should it be like that? Can sermons be left without a tidy conclusion? Can churches leave you hanging?

Rambling complete - must sleep.

E

5 Comments:

At 12:07 PM , Blogger Mary said...

You make a very good point. I have been known to read a book in an afternoon, because I didn't want to wait, and I am constantly counting down until Mon when Heroes returns. But I don't sit on the edge of my seat or give Lonnie that look that says I had no idea that was coming when we are in church. Maybe the cliff-hanger sermon should be tried sometime, just not in Feb. when it is concluded in Oct like Las Vegas did this year. What is we were as anxious to here the serman as to see who is off on Idol? What a church that would be!!

What a great perspective Ernie, maybe you should chime in more often!

 
At 2:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm with you, ernie. one major concept i learned during my college days in the elementary education field is that you don't give the answer. you encourage your students to use their own brains. you present the facts and watch and see what they do with it. you guide, but you don't solve for them. i would venture to say that church not in a tidy little box is pretty uncommon, but desired by many.
thanks for your thoughts! (but you will never be able to out-do mindy's retelling of the acid in the eye!)

 
At 4:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Food for thought:

Who is shaping whom in what you are suggesting, Ernie?

To say "in most churches there is no story" because they don't "leave people hanging" are pretty strong words for any church proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ crucified for your sins and for mine. I'm glad I'm not "left hanging." I need to know that I'm forgiven. There's plenty of intrigue in that.

-Stacy

 
At 8:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Stacy

An anomynous 12 year old nephew. Guess who!

 
At 6:18 AM , Blogger Ernie and Mindy said...

In response to "whom is shaping whom?" Explain what you are saying and what your concern is regarding my post. Do you feel that there should be no attempt at being creative to present the Gospel?

I would suggest that Jesus would be saddened at the lack of pursuit of the lost by many churches today. Everyone can see that Pop culture is pulling people away from God by the thousands. Jesus sends us into this world to shine and draw people to Himself. How we do church, what our services look like, what songs we sing, etc. should not remain contemporary for only one generation. As Society changes, we alter how we present the truth. Common sense! You teach children differently than you do senior citizens. You teach inner city people different then you do those raised on a farm. The message core is still the same, but if I desire to connect with the heart of the young man on the streets of Chicago, I won't be using any of my illustrations of the rising corn prices on our family farm.

And seriously, does it really sound like i'm undermining the powerful story of the cross. What I am saying is that the way we present THAT story deserves getting it across in the most creative way possible and that "might" include suspense and intrigue during a church service.

Ernie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home